The first few pieces of black zucchini have made their appearance in the garden! Time for some delicious zucchini bread. Banana bread was one of the first things I learned to make when learning to bake. I love experimenting with the recipe and finding different combinations or ingredients.
There are so many things you can do with zucchini and it is an easy vegetable that can be stored in the freezer for later use. You can grate the zucchini or slice it into thick slices and store in the freezer for soups, sautees, muffins, or breads! In the past, I was not aware of the use of a cheesecloth when it came to making my zucchini bread. However thanks to a friend, I was turned on to this great tip since it helps to get all the water out of the vegetable and provide a bread that is not soggy.
So to begin, choose two small zucchini from your garden. Wash and finely grate the zucchini in a bowl. Cut a medium size piece of unbleached cheesecloth and wrap it around the zucchini. Squeeze all the excess moisture out of the zucchini. You will be surprised how much water comes out!
Here are the remaining ingredients and instructions for this delicious bread! My four-year old son LOVED this and had no idea he was eating zucchini-SCORE!
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat white flour (If using wheat flour, use 1 cup) These two options are the better choice since white flour is heavily processed and usually bleached. I have found wheat flour makes breads pretty dry, so I prefer the whole wheat white option.
1 tsp. baking soda
1 pinch of sea salt
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 very ripe bananas (they are best when left to turn black)
2 Tbsp. butter made from olive oil (not canola oil, a GMO source)
3 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup DARK chocolate chips (this ingredient provides enough sugar that I never feel it is necessary to add any other source of it. Although, for a healthier bread, you can skip this step and use 2-3 Tbsp. raw honey in place if desired.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease a 9 x 13 loaf pan with a bit of butter
3. Place the bananas in a large mixing bowl. Add cinnamon and nutmeg and proceed to mash the banana. This method will ensure the spices are embedded in the flavor of the bread.
4. Melt 2 TBSP. of butter (use 3 for a moister bread) and add along with apple cider vinegar to the mashed banana.
5. whisk the eggs and add to banana mixture.
6. Stir in zucchini.
7. Mix in baking soda.
8. Add flour one cup at a time, mixing with a spatula until completely blended.
9. Fold in chocolate chips.
10. Spread batter into greased load pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Kid friendly and mommy approved-enjoy!!!