I was pleasantly surprised to receive a notification from the beautiful Serena over at https://serenaglow.wordpress.com/ that I had been nominated for the Starlight Blogger Award! As a beginner blogger, it is very exciting to see that someone else appreciates your words and content! If you haven’t checked out Serena’s blog yet-Serena Glow-health, vitality and food, head over to her blog for some awesome beauty secrets, fitness advice, healthy recipes and loads of information on clean eating and foods that will benefit your body. Thank you so much Serena for nominating me!
Now let’s get to my award duties. Starlight awards aren’t just given away willy nilly you guys. There is some give and take, communication and honesty involved :))
1. Thank and link back to the person who nominated you for the award.
2. Answer the questions set to you and then you may create your set of questions for your nominees.
3. Nominate other bloggers. (You may notify them to make them aware)
My Questions (& Answers):
1. Who helped you discover the starlight in you?
The is one is easy-my son. Since I have had the honor of becoming a mother to this beautiful being, I have become a better person in so many ways. Parenthood changes you in ways you will never expect or imagine. Because of him, I have become a more patient person, more giving (you have to be, because everything is about them), more tolerant of others, more accepting of circumstances in life and just being happy with the way things are, even if they aren’t the way you want them to be. He has made me a grateful person and I am happy with the simplest of things, because I always have him. And most recently, he has inspired me to start working on myself again. To rediscover my talents, to be something more than a mom. To get myself back and be the strongest, healthiest version of myself that I can be.
2. Where have you traveled? Where would you like to travel to?
In high-school I was lucky to be able to travel to England and France with a friend to visit my former soccer coach who had moved there-what an amazing trip! I have also been to Germany twice and my son’s father lives in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, so I have traveled there as well. I would love to have the opportunity to travel to Greece or Spain one day!
3. What kind of music do you like?
I mostly listen to Pandora these days-Eric Hutchinson radio is my favorite. Some artists that come on his station are Ray Lamontagne, Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, Tristan Prettyman, Elliott Smith, John Mayer, Van Morrison, The Beatles, and Matt Nathanson just to name a few but I think you catch my vibe. Now when I work out and run it is strictly hip hop on my ipod-Eminem and Jay Z are my go tos.
4. What’s one city you’d move to in an instant?
I personally prefer a more rural area, somewhere where nature is accessible. I currently live about 15 minutes from the beach and that is pretty nice! I lived in Asheville, NC for about ten years and loved the area. That was probably a perfect size city to live in and the mountains were amazing for hiking trips!
5. What are your top three favorite books and why?
1. The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield-when I read this book in my early twenties, it was a game changer for me. It was one of those books that completely changed the way I looked at life. This book explores the journey of a mans spiritual awakening through the search for nine spiritual insights in an ancient manuscript in Peru. This book touches on subjects such as synchronicity, the meaning behind coincidences, energy through vibration levels, and the meaning of life.
2. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz-Written by a shamanic teacher and healer this book will also change the way you look at yourself and your self-limiting beliefs, as well as open your eyes to a new approach to living life with grace and truth. I love books that challenge who you are as a person and also challenge the way you see life, or at least make you question it-this book is definitely one of them!
3. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho-A beautiful story that teaches you about listening to your heart and learning to read the omens or signs thrown in your path in life. I do believe that nothing is coincidence and we are exactly where we need to be. I think sometimes we miss the signs, but life keep throwing the same lessons back at us until we learn them. This book also touches on the importance of following your dreams.
6. What’s on your bucket list?
I don’t really have a traditional bucket list so to speak but rather just some overall personal goals that I want to accomplish. Short terms goals-get in the best shape of my life. I am running a 5 k in August and will increase my goals from there. Continue to always be grateful and positive. Focus only on the positive. Your outlook is a choice. Acceptance is key. Focus on what you DO have, rather than what you don’t. Be the best mom possible. Make our days the best they can be-continue building a close relationship with my son and always let him know how much he is loved. Long term goals-give back more. Teach my son about giving back. Volunteer somewhere. Teach him to also always be grateful for what he has. And that there are always people with less. Helping others and giving is a value I want to instill in him. Travel more. Take some fun vacations with my son. Explore life! Be happy always!
1. Michelle and Megan @ http://consumewithlove.com/ twin sisters on a mission to eat and shop ethically. They have tons of amazing recipes and information on diet and nutrition.
2. gendermom @ https://gendermom.wordpress.com/ this important and touching blog chronicles the life of a mother and her young transgender daughter
3. Andrea Giang @ http://cookingwithawallflower.com/ shares unique yet simple recipes along with beautiful food photos. She also has some great blogging tips as well as DIY projects!
4. Tesa @ http://jamaicanvegantarian.com/ shares amazing vegan recipes and great tips for living a healthy lifestyle that support animal rights.
5. Rachel @ http://emergingadulteats.com/ has some interesting and delicious recipes and an awesome attitude toward food-her personality really comes through on her blog!
6. Nandini @ http://goanwiki.com/ has a unique blog that shares amazing recipes from the Goan culture.
7. and least but not last… YOU @ Your BLOG :))) If you are reading this and would like to take part in this fun exercise/award please feel free to follow the rules and participate! Leave a comment here to let me know you’re taking part and I’ll shout you out!
Questions for My Nominees:
1. What is your favorite way to unwind at the end of the day?
2. If you could do anything as a career and money wasn’t an issue, what would it be?
3. What movie would you have loved to be an extra on?
4. What is your biggest pet peeve?
5. What is your favorite food and dessert?
6. What was the best thing that happened to you today?
Thank you for taking part in this! Looking forward to reading your answers.